Monday, September 22, 2008

Swimming TR

Wow,
TR on my first ever exercise related swim.

I don't think I will ever regain 100% functionality out of my arms. I was barely able to get them up to the keyboard to type.

I lasted about 35 minutes in the pool. Probably got in about 400 yards of swimming before I just gave out and couldn't complete another lap... Then I sat for about 8 minutes before doing one more. "Warm down" lap. Though I was attempting to take it very easy on that lap even that was straining me terrible. I can't imagine what this stuff would look like on film. But it would not be pretty.

My form was terrible throughout and every time I would take a breath I would lose rhythm completely. So my mechanics are quite horrendous. One tip I got before swimming was "Make sure your hand beats your elbow into the water." That might've happen on my first stroke then it was all down hill to an ugly thrashing and desperate kicking in a futile attempt to move myself through the unfriendly medium. I don't think it could be considered freestyle stroke. Or any stroke for that matter.

However, with all the technique fail that I encountered I got one hell of a workout. Which is the whole reason I went so I guess that is a positive. I still want to learn how to swim better so I don't look like such a donk to all the old ladies and stuff who were lapping me with ease. I heard Tim Ferris recommend something called Total Immersion for swimming. I may try that out.

Other mistakes I made:
Get fkin goggles ldo. My eyes are burning.
Get a speedo type swimsuit. Board shorts are ghey.
Learn how to swim

That is the monstrosity that was my first exercise based swim workout.

-Jordan

No comments: